Union Flag

Union Flag

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Introducing Karen Sykes - HTM Team Leader

I first competed and judged in 2001.  Since then I have continued to compete, judge and teach but never did I imagine back then where this sport would take me.  Thanks to HTM I have travelled the world making many great friends through the sport.
 
What I love about Heelwork to Music and Freestyle is that it is the only dog sport where you can do exactly what you want to within the rules and let your imagination run free.  You can show-case the individuality of your dog and never have to perform a move that doesn’t suit your dog.  Dogs, dancing and music are a magical combination which gives so much joy to many!

I have 3 dogs, Fly, Erin and Midge.  Midge is my one year old working sheepdog and is dancing along nicely taking 2 first places at her first 2 shows.  Erin is my 5 years old rescue cross breed and was Reserve Freestyle for Team GB 2013 in Holland.  Fly, my 13 year old working sheepdog won Crufts HTM in 2008 and the HTM Individual Open European Championships in Denmark in 2011.  This year Fly was selected to represent Great Britain for the 3rd year running but sadly has had to be withdrawn due to ill health.

Although very disappointed not to be competing, I am delighted to be travelling to Germany in the role of Heelwork to Music Team Leader.  I am very keen to fully support the British Team.  With my wealth of experience in competing internationally I feel well qualified to help the entire Team produce their best, both in training and at the Open European Championships

Finally many thanks go my constant companion, Allan.  He has been by my side since 1983 encouraging me and supporting me in everything I have done, looking after our dogs when I have been travelling and helping me to achieve things that I would never have thought possible.  Thanks Allan!


Please note that the Kennel Club is not supporting the team in selection or any other way, however, 
the Kennel Club has given permission to Louth & District Dog Club to enter a team from Great Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment